top of page

Thinking of a career abroad? 6 countries to consider for easy work visas after studying.

The world is changing. Fast.

Your skills and the zeal to keep upskilling are the only things that can help you catch up and be future-ready. With the right skills and attitude, you can not only prove invaluable to your community but also become relevant globally, even in the most demanding job markets. Developed countries across the world are ready to employ skilled immigrant students after the completion of their courses. So, if you are looking to pursue a career abroad, read on to know more about the countries where it is easy to get a work permit after completing graduation, post-graduation or research-based courses.

Types of work visas for students

A work visa is a legal permission for students to take up a job in a country other than the country of their residence. Every country has a different work visa system. But broadly, you can categorize work visas as

  • Permanent

  • Temporary

Depending on a range of criteria, you qualify for either of the visas post the completion of the course you are pursuing in the foreign land.

Countries with simplified and rewarding work visas for foreign students

Ø Australia

One of the most popular choices for tech and art enthusiasts, Australia welcomes students who are pursuing higher education in the country and are ready to kickstart their careers there. The best part about the Australian work visa program is that the country allows students to include their family members in their work visas. Depending upon your area of study and your course level, the duration of your stay is decided. Precisely, if you are an international student who has recently graduated with a degree from an Australian university, you can stay in Australia for 2 to 4 years with this visa based on your qualifications under the Temporary Graduate Visa.

Ø New Zealand

Another highly preferred destination for international students, New Zealand has seen a massive spike in applications from international students in recent years owing to its quality education and wide range of universities. Offering a fabulous location to live in and highly sought-after technology and art courses. The country also has a seamless post-study work process. International students with a graduate degree from New Zealand can apply for a post-study work visa (PSW) in the country. With this visa, you can work for almost any employer in New Zealand. However, the length of your work permit will vary based on the course you opted for and its demand in the country. The best part is, once you get a job relevant to your area of study, you can have your work visa extended for two years.


With a world of courses and upskilling options for students, the United States of America has always been the go-to destination for ambitious students worldwide. But to actually fulfill the American dream, one needs to experience its fantastic work culture and lifestyle. The USA offers three kinds of work visas- F1 Visa, M1 Visa, and J1 Visa. While F1 is only for students, J1 and M1 visas are for vocational trainees, scholars, teachers, interns, researchers, professors, and more. All three visas allow you to stay for a certain period of time after the completion of your studies.

As a student, the best-suited visa for you is the F1 visa which also allows you to go for Optional Practical Training (OPT) which permits international students to stay and work in the USA for an entire year. If you have graduated in a STEM course, i.e., science, technology, engineering, and math, you can even extend your stay in the USA for 2 years which makes it a total of 3 years. It is, however, mandatory to get a job that is related to your area of study within a stipulated period of time, i.e. 90 days after the completion of the course.

Ø The UK

The UK offers great opportunities to international students and remains a highly sought-after destination for studying as well as pursuing a career. The country issued 2,50,000 visas in the year 2021 alone, which proves that it is opening its doors to meritorious students and job aspirants. The UK offers a Graduate Visa for students wishing to work in the country after finishing a course. The visa allows students graduating from a UK university to stay and work in the UK for at least 2 years. The provision applies for students pursuing a course at the undergraduate level or above.

Ø Canada

Canada is growing fast as an economic giant. The country has always been open and keen to accept immigrants who can help run its economic engine efficiently. Canada provides great living conditions and high remuneration to international job aspirants. But if you are a graduate or post-graduate from a Canadian university, it gives you an easy-to-apply work permit that lets you live and work there within the field of your study. After completing your course in Canada, you have 180 days to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) from inside Canada. To apply for a PGWP, you must have completed a study program at a designated learning institution. Additionally, you must have pursued a degree, diploma or certificate course of duration 8 months or longer.

Other countries that offer simple and seamless post-study work permits are Germany, Ireland, South Korea, Singapore and Finland.

Book a consultation with WritersQi to discuss your international work permit options with expert guidance from our counselors.

8 views0 comments


bottom of page